This week, SCARPA North America won its ninth award for its Freedom SL freeride ski boot, with an Editor’s Choice from Backpacker Magazine. In celebration of this great recognition here is a list of nine completely random facts that feature this momentous number. While those suffering from a fear of odd numbers, an illness referred to as dispar numerophobia, may not be too excited by this, the number nine has more going for it than many would think. In addition to being the largest single digit and an integral member of our numerical system, the number also carries significant meaning among many cultures. Specifically, the Chinese associate the number with the Chinese dragon, a symbol of magic and power. Now, on to the random facts.
- There were nine major planets in our solar system before Pluto was omitted from the roster. Discovered in 1930, the former “major planet” is composed primarily of rock and ice and is about one-sixth the mass of the Earth’s moon and is one-third its’ volume. We miss you as a planet Pluto.
- JR, the Texas Longhorn Bull has the longest recorded horns in the world, spanning an impressive nine feet one inch. The seven- year old bull has apparently grown 95% of its potential horn length, but he has a long life ahead of himself and the sky’s the limit.
- Las Vegas’s Christine ‘The Dutchess’ Walton has the longest fingernails in the world. Her right hand sports 9ft 7inch long nails. Texting and keyboards must be her nemesis.
- The town of Utica, NY has an average snowfall of nine feet. It’s only a shame that there aren’t bigger mountains in the area.
- The Beloved American drama series, “Touched By An Angel”, unfortunately ran for only nine seasons. Created by John Masius and produced by Martha Williams, the show featured Roma Downey, an angel named Monica; whose role was to bring guidance and messages from God to various people at a crossroads in their lives. Thank God for reruns.
- Nine year-old Guitar Hero legend, “Ben,” last name unknown, has beaten Guitar Hero on expert, playing Through the Fire and Flames by Dragonforce. Ben’s highest score is 790k. This kid really knows how to push buttons.
- Little known fact, Larisa Latynina from the Soviet Union won nine Olympic gold medals in Gymnastics from 1956-1946. In addition to her impressive medal count, she is also the only woman who has won an all-around medal in more than two Olympiad, the only woman who has won an individual event in more that two Olympiad, and one of only three women who have won every individual event at either the World Championship or Olympic level. This girl’s got moves.
- Barack Obama’s custom Cadillac Limo weighs in at nine tons. AKA ‘The Beast’, this burly machine sports eight inch think armor-plated doors, an independent oxygen supply, an advanced fire-fighting system, pump-action shotguns, night-vision cameras and tear-gas cannons, Obama’s own personal storage of blood and Kevlar-reinforced tires. Check out your local Cadillac dealership to order your very own.
- …and cats have nine lives.